Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Damn Power Company

This is my second attempt at writing tonight as my previous post concerning the night life (or lack thereof) in Columbus ("C-town") was rudely cut short by a power outage (I will return to that topic later in the week). Once again a huge power surge hit a good chunk of my neighborhood. See, where I live, the power grid is 30+ years old and wasn't built to handle the number of homes here. Well, once a month or so we get a short outage. About every quarter we get one that lasts a few hours. And then there was last winter. An ice storm basically put Ohio under a 2 inch sheet of ice. You aint lived until you've seen EVERYTHING outside covered in a sheet of ice. Needless to say, I didn't have power in my house for 5 days. Talk about the dark ages.

The first 3 were ok, but the last 2 were just annoying. Especially since in the winter it gets dark around 4:30 and it's pitch black by 5:30. I had to go to the office to shower and shave. Staying at home was useless since I was usually spending 4 hours per night in the dark. If we didn't have an insert for the fireplace (where we burned the equivalent of 3 trees) we would have froze. Hotels were full and charging a premium. There was a run on food at the supermarket. Fools basically cleaned out Home Depot and Lowe’s. Seriously... you could walk in there and shelves were empty. It was weird. Over 200,000 homes in Columbus were out for the better part of 3 days. My lovely neighborhood got fucked for 5 though. Sigh...

I know I know, that was boring. Here is something interesting. Have y'all seen Being Bobby Brown? That shit is the greatest/worst show of all time. This definitely gets it's own post. In fact, that will be my next post. Either that or my insane experience going out last weekend. Stay tuned.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kim Plaintive said...

When I was younger my family lived in a certain "developing" country for a few years that was modernizing too quickly for the power grid. Everyone on the block got a fridge and all of a sudden we were getting four-hour long power outages three times a week.

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home